Dr. Eugenio Hernández-Bretón has been an attorney in the firm since 1981 and became partner in 1993. Eugenio is an elected member of the Venezuelan Academy of Political and Social Sciences, the Instituto Hispano Luso Americano de Derecho Internacional and the International Academy of Comparative Law. He has been recognized as a leading lawyer in energy and natural resources, international and domestic arbitration, and litigation by top legal directories including Chambers & Partners and Legal 500. He is a tenured law professor at the Universidad Central de Venezuela, Universidad Monteávila and Universidad Católica Andrés Bello. He holds a PhD from the University of Heidelberg and has authored three books and more than two hundred law articles.
Eugenio Hernández-Bretón is the head of the Energy, Mining and Infrastructure practice group in Venezuela and the Dispute Resolution practice group as well. Eugenio has extensive experience advising companies from the energy sector in arbitration procedures, contracts with the State and regulatory matters for oil, gas and mining international companies doing business in Venezuela.
Representative cases or matters
- Advised several mining, oil and gas foreign companies in their Venezuelan projects, including project financing.
- Assisted in the negotiation of complex EPC contracts.
- Appeared before arbitration panels and foreign courts as counsel, and as expert witness on issues of international law, private international law and Venezuelan law.
- Advised foreign and domestic entities and individuals in respect of the application of sanctions imposed by foreign governments on Venezuelan individuals and entities, and on countersanctions imposed by Venezuelan authorities.
Publications, presentations and articles
Over 200 publications in constitutional, administrative, family, contract, commercial, arbitration, private international and international civil procedure law.
- Caracas Bar Association (1981)
- Former President of the Venezuelan Academy of Political and Social Sciences
- President of the Advisory Council of the Asociación Americana de Derecho Internacional Privado
- Instituto Hispano Luso Americano de Derecho Internacional
- International Academy of Comparative Law.
Education and admission
- University of Heidelberg (Dr. iur. utr. summa cum laude) (1991)
- Faculté Int’l de Droit Comparé (Diploma) (1990)
- University of Tübingen (LL.M. magna cum laude) (1988)
- Columbia University (LL.M.) (1983)
- Andrés Bello Catholic University (J.D. summa cum laude) (1981)